OpenSearch for Developers
Master how to use OpenSearch for everything from text search to log analysis and anomaly detection in this hands-on 2 day course
Next coursesDecember 25-26, 2023 — London
OpenSearch is today's de-facto standard for centralized logging and real-time analytics for system metrics and business data. What started as a full-text search engine quickly became much, much more than just that.
This intensive 2-day hands-on workshop is designed to teach you OpenSearch from the ground up. You will start by learning the basics of full-text search and information retrieval and the important OpenSearch APIs: Document, Indexes, Queries and Aggregations APIs.
Only once you are fluent with the OpenSearch APIs you can really use this powerful technology to its full potential.
The goal of this course is to provide an experienced developer with all the tools to succeed with integrating OpenSearch into any type of project. You will learn:
- Using OpenSearch to add full-text search to any application.
- Define and maintain OpenSearch indexes, and correct data ingestion using Logstash and Beats.
- Perform aggregation queries to drill-down into your data.
- Use OpenSearch Dashboards (aka Kibana) to investigate live data and create visually appealing dashboards.
- Working with time-series data (logs, IoT, and more).
Developers, DevOps and SREs with 3 years of experience or more. Platform agnostic - hands-on exercises are using OpenSearch Dashboards end-to-end.
- Basics of Full text search and Information Retrieval
- Overview of OpenSearch and it's ecosystem
- OpenSearch and the REST API
- Using OpenSearch from your favorite programming language
- Search and the various query types
- Hands-on experience with indexing and searching texts
- The inverted index and full-text search
- Term normalization with Analyzers, Tokenizers and TokenFilters
- Understanding and poking into the analysis chain
- Creating and using a custom analyzer
- Using Index Mappings to control analysis and other index features
- Pagination and Sorting
- Precision and Recall
- Understanding scoring and how it is applied
- Building smart queries that can influence scoring correctly
- Query explanation and profiling
- Results highlighting
- Various power query tools and a lot of good advice
- Document oriented design and why it's crucial to do right with OpenSearch
- Record linkage via MoreLikeThis
- Geo-spatial search
- Multi-lingual search
- Anomaly detection methods
- The percolator
- Real-time data analysis and reporting
- The Aggregations Framework: Metric and Bucket aggregations
- Pipeline aggregations
- Various powerful aggregations tricks
- Using OpenSearch Dashboards to visualize data
- OpenSearch Nodes and their roles (data, master, client)
- Replication and sharding
- Cluster topology
- Performance, sizing and scaling out
- Monitoring the cluster health, and knowing when to react
- Amazon OpenSearch Service and other cloud-managed solutions